Bridging Visa

Bridging Visas – 3 things you must know about Bridging Visas

What is a Bridging Visa?

A bridging visa, (the opposite of a “substantive visa”) usually “bridges” a visa holder between two visa visas and typically comes into effect when the first visa held expires.

For example, if a work visa expires on 31 December 2013 and you lodge an application for a further work visa in November 2013, if a decision is still pending as at 31 December 2013, a bridging visa comes into effect at midnight on 31 December 2012 and that bridging visa keeps the visa applicant lawful in Australia (no bridging visa here would mean illegal stay) until such time as the further work visa is approved.

If the further work visa is approved on 15 January 2014, then the bridging visa ceases upon the grant of that work visa.

Without the bridging visa grant, the visa holder may have otherwise been without any visa during the period 1 January 2014 and 14 January 2014 inclusive.

There are different sub classes of bridging visas and complex rules can apply to each type:

[bullet_list icon="check"]
  • Bridging Visa A (Sub class 010)
  • Bridging Visa B (Sub class 020)
  • Bridging Visa C (Sub class 030)
  • Bridging Visa D (Sub class 040)
  • Bridging Visa E (Sub class 050)

The type of bridging visa you hold or have held may affect the type of applications you are allowed to make in Australia.

Bridging visa type and bridging conditions restrict what can be done while you are the holder of a given bridging visa.

How do I get a Bridging visa?

Bridging Visas are applied for with the Department Of Immigration & Citizenship. Certain visa applications are deemed to be applications for bridging visas as well so there may not be any need to make a separate application for a bridging visa. In other cases, separate applications need to be made with the Department of Immigration & Citizenship for a bridging visa.

How much does a Bridging Visa cost?

Bridging visas can attract a fee upon lodgement of the application with the Department of Immigration (DIAC).

A schedule of fees and charges applicable to applications lodged at DIAC is published regularly.

Many bridging visas are granted automatically in conduction with a substantive visa application, so no separate the Department of Immigration & Citizenship fee applies.

If you use an Immigration Lawyer or Registered Australian Migration Agent, additional fees are payable to Immigration Lawyers and Agents. The amount of the fee will depend on level of skill of the Immigration Law Specialist, complexity of the applications, and the urgency of the application.

At our Bridging Visa consultations, we’ll help you to:

[bullet_list icon="check"]
  • Identity the most appropriate immigration application you need to make;
  • Advise on the bridging visa status now and what is likely to happen with your bridging visa in different scenarios; and
  • Prepare for and lodge your next bridging visa application faster.

Call us today to get started with an obligation-free, money-back guaranteed, confidential discussion with an Bridging Visa immigration Lawyer and Migration Agent.

  1. ebrahim Reply

    Please change “identity” to “identify” at the outset of the penultimate paragraph.

Leave a Reply