Form 956 – Appointment of A Registered Migration Agent, Legal Practitioner Or Exempt Person

Why Do I Need An Immigration Agent?

There may not be quite a thousand reasons why you should consider appointing a registered migration agent, legal practitioner or exempt person to hold your hand through your visa application and management, but there are many as I explain here. This page is to help you appoint the representative of your choice.

What Can My Migration Agent Do?

Put simply, represent you in all matters such as uploading your documents as required, certifying documents, and helping answer all requests from the Department.

How Do I Appoint A Migration Agent?

The Department of Home Affairs (the Department) requires the submission of Form 956. Your chosen Registered Migration Agent must submit it (as registered by the Office of Migration Agents Registration Authority (OMARA) or legal practitioner.

Importantly, it can also be submitted by exempt persons. This can be one of your close family members, a sponsor (whether for a partner visa or an employer), or a member of parliament or their staff.

Other exempt persons are someone who’s been appointed under The Public Service Act 1999 or a public servant of a state or territory whose job description includes giving immigration advice, and a member of a diplomatic mission, consular post or international organisation.

Importantly, Exempt persons can NOT accept payment for assisting you. If they do ask, risk penalties of up to ten years in jail.

Immigration Lawyer Firm background image

Form 956

Appointment of A Registered Migration Agent, Legal Practitioner Or Exempt Person

Your Experience?

Please share your comments with me.

I’d like to know more about the difficulties you are experiencing with completing this form. Please share here and I’ll see if I can make life a little easier for everybody.

Share This


Related Posts