Travel Exemption: A Guide For Exemption From Travel Restrictions For Entering Or Exiting Australia [Update 2021]

Travel exemption for australia guide by Nilesh Nandan Immigration Lawyer

With the advent of the Covid-19 global pandemic, the Australian Border Force has been empowered with restricting travel in and out of Australia.

Australian citizens and Australian permanent residents are usually able to enter Australia, however, temporary visa holders can face severe imparities when entering Australia during a global pandemic such as Covid-19. 

What is important to note is that the Department of Home Affairs controls the granting of visas for non citizens.

The Australian Border Force which is part of the Department of Home Affairs at the present time regulates the entry and exit of individuals.

Nilesh Nandan Immigration Lawyer


I am an Australian citizen/PR, can I enter Australia?

Answer – Yes, a mandatory 14 day quarantine period in a designated facility/hotel.

I am a not an Australian citizen/PR can I enter Australia?

Answer – No, but can apply for an individual exemption.

You must hold a visa and an exemption to Australia’s travel restrictions before you travel. You can request an exemption online and must provide appropriate evidence to support your claims. Requests may be finalised without further consideration if insufficient evidence is provided. All documents need to be officially translated into English.

I am an Australian citizen/PR residing in Australia, can I go overseas?

Answer – Not qualified for a travel exemption, unless there is compelling and compassionate reason for your travel.

I am not an Australian citizen or PR, can I go overseas?

Answer – Yes.

I am a NZ citizen who usually resides in Australia with proof of residency, can I enter Australia?

Answer – Yes, apply for an exemption.

I am not an Australian citizen/PR, can I enter Australia to visit my immediate family member of Australian citizen/PR?

No exemptions, unless you have a current valid visa i.e. Spouse/DeFacto Partner, Dependent Child/ren; Legal Guardian.

I have a Refugee and Humanitarian (Class XB) visa, have not entered Australia, am I eligible for a travel exemption to enter Australia?

Answer – No.

I am an Australian citizen/PR and my travel is essential for my business/employer, can I leave?

Answer – Yes, apply for an exemption.

I want to enter Australia and visit an immediate family member of an Australian citizen/PR.

Answer – Yes, if you are either a spouse; defacto partner; a dependent child/ren; a legal guardian. If you hold a Partner (100, 309, 801, 8200 or Child (101, 102, 445) you do not need to request an exemption. There is a 14 day quarantine period.

I want to enter Australia, as a skilled professional providing critical or specialist medical services.

Answer – Yes, apply for an exemption.

How do I apply for travel exemption for Australia?

Answer – You can apply online by clicking here.

To secure a travel exemption you are not making an application for a visa but rather an application to Australian Border Force for permission to either enter or exit Australia.

How I can help you?

To discuss how I can help you with an exemption application please book in a chat with me. 

The travel exemption application process is designed to be user friendly for individuals, without the need for migration lawyers. However, sometimes circumstances are such where you may prefer to outsource the process to a migration lawyer. If this is the case then you might consider contacting me today.

Nilesh Nandan is Australia's most sought after immigration lawyer for visa refusals and visa cancellations. Appeal your visa or get help to relodge your Australian visa application or citizenship application.

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)