Are you a refugee or asylum seeker in Australia?

Refugee Visa or Protection Visa?

In Australia, refugee visas for those seeking asylum or Australian government protection are know as protection visas.

What is a “refugee visa”?

Also known as a “protection visa” or “asylum visa” or “asylum application” or “asylum-seeker visa”, a refugee visa provides refugees protection in Australia, by allowing a temporary or permanent residence visa for asylum-seekers and those who fall within complementary protection provisions.

An international convention defines what a refugee is and determines whether or not someone is a refugee. However, the convention definition of refugee has been re-scoped by legislation and court decisions to include other applicants seeking protection. These are known as the complementary protection provisions.

How do I get a refugee visa?

A Refugee visa application is made to the Australian Department of Immigration (DIBP) or a Government agency either onshore or offshore.

Refugees need to prove that they are genuine refugees. The DIBP officer determines whether the applicant meets the DIBP’s criteria for a protection visa. To do this, the DIBP officer relies on your home country information research and your submissions.

Many desperate visa applicants lodge protection visa applications onshore as a last resort to remain in Australia. Therefore, our practice assists only genuine asylum seekers and refugees to effectively present their case for protection.

What does it cost?

Refugee visas attract a small fee or no fee upon lodgement of the application with the DIBP.

A schedule of fees and charges applicable to applications lodged at the DIBP is published regularly.

If you use an Immigration Advisor or Registered Australian Migration Agent, additional fees are payable.

Although, the pricing of fees charged by Immigration lawyers and migration agents depends on the skill level of the Immigration Law Specialist, complexity of the applications, and the urgency of the application.

  1. August 10, 2016

    Hi my name is Adam.I had refused student visa. I lost mrt , currently I am on federal court . My lawer said i am not gonna win .
    I don’t want to go back my country and the condition not good at all. So my Question is am I eligible to apply protection visa.
    Thank you

  2. October 12, 2016

    Hi, Sir… I’m Satyaseelan from Malaysia, now I’m in Australia.. I needed a protection visa to work sir… But my visitor visa was finished on 13 October 2016. Sir I was search u in net.. Can u help me…I’m coming from poor fly sir.. I want work here cause of that I needed the protection visa for immigration not disturb me. Please sir help me.

  3. October 14, 2016

    Hi I’m an asylum seeker in Australia.
    I’m invited to apply for 3 years protection visa, I received my FOI(Freedom Of Information) documents. I wanted to ask you how much will you charge for fill the form 866 PTV visa?

  4. October 15, 2016

    Hi, I overstayed in Australia for 6mnth and willing to apply for protection visa 866..what sort of bridging visa I will be given and do they give work rights?

Write a comment:


Your email address will not be published.

The information on this site is not legal advice. You should consult a lawyer or registered Australian Migration Agent for advice on your own situation. Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation. Legal practitioners employed by Nandan Vaityte Pty Ltd are members of the scheme. Unless otherwise specified, all advice is provided in accordance with section 276 of the Migration Act 1958 (Cth) by MyVisa Australia Pty Ltd Trading As MyVisa® ABN 65 092 524 359. RMA 1466495 0104983 1790996 © Copyright 2017 Nandan Vaityte Pty Ltd ABN 54 607 960 547 | All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Sitemap